torsdag, desember 07, 2006

Winamp ratings statistics

Artist viewWhen my music collection grew beyond 10000 songs, I kind of lost track of what I do like and what I don't like so much.

So I decided to rate every song I played. In winamp, I assigned global hotkeys to ratings 1-5.
I listen to music almost all day at work, and I tried to make it a habit to always rate the song I'm listening to, and always play unrated songs.

So far i have rated 1/10th of my music collection. To sync rating between home and work I use this tool ML Stat Restore , it's a bit rough but it's working.

But now I have a lot of ratings, and would like to see some statistics, e.g ratings per album (the average of each rated track for the album) . But I couldn't find any tools for this. So I decided to make my own, and at the same time use it as a project to improve my c# and windows forms programming skills. Its made in 5 days and it shows, but it's good enough for me. Now I know that I like Bruce Springsteen, dislike Ani DiFranco (except a couple of songs), and that 1991 was a good year for music.But I'm wondering if anybody else might find it useful, therefore I'm posting it here. It requires .Net framework 2.0 installed, and the ActiveWinamp
plugin
installed to work, and I have only tested it on my computer.

I hope sombody can test it and tell me what they think about it. Download it here.

Download and extract the files to a folder, and run.

*Disclaimer* Use at your own risk. No warranties *

That said, it's not doing any writing, it only reads from winamp, so it won't do anything worse than to crash.
If anybody finds it useful, I might continue working on it, but I need some feedback.
What kind of statistics are interesting to show?


Years viewAlbums viewGenres view